Radish Stew

A Central Texas Gardening Journal

Friday, April 23, 2010

Carrots


Carrots fresh from the garden are not always carrot-shaped. They have bends, extra legs, crevices, and lots of dirt! I begin cleaning carrots in the garden by rinsing them off in the row from which they were picked. Then, I tear off the greens and put them in the compost. Next I take them into the house and use a soft brush to get the dirt out of the cracks. The brush just doesn't get all the dirt. I never want to peel the carrots because I don't want to lose any good vitamins. I leaned from a German-heritage friend to scrape carrots with a paring knife. I have adapted that method to using a butter knife. An improvement to the butter knife is my bunny knife. Originally used for serving appetizers, this simple tool works best for cleaning those carrots!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home