Radish Stew

A Central Texas Gardening Journal

Monday, January 4, 2010

Focus on the Food

As the new year begins, I am beginning a new focus. I am going to record the many ways the vegetables from the garden are utilized. I will attempt to eat something from the garden each day. Even if it just a radish added to the stew!

For January 1, I really wanted to make Texas Caviar with the black-eye peas from the garden. I took them out of the freezer and decided that something was just not right, so they went into the compost. We did eat Texas Caviar, however, with other black-eyes.

On January 2 I made "Jo's Queso" with some Cilantro which is growing beautifully right now. Her motto is, "Cilantro in every bite!"

On January 3, I made "Butternut Squash Lasagna" with squash harvested before the first freeze. This dish was inspired by Renee Studebaker who writes for the Austin American Statesman newspaper. I changed the recipe some, but was very happy with the dish. I will certainly make this again!


On January 4, I enjoyed a salad made with fresh picked radishes, carrots, and lettuce. I still have fresh tomatoes, too!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home